I was sitting in a gathering on Sunday of people waiting to hear Neil Anderson speak on Freedom in Christ. They announced that a young man, only 15 years old actually, would come to the mic and lead us in worship. Imagine my surprise as he led us to sing "Jesus Paid it All" -- all the verses. I love this hymn and it seems like we don't hear it much in churches these days. I was sort of taken back by the number of people who were not singing. The lyrics were not on the screens and very few people even knew the song. It made me sad.
Anyway, it made me want to be sure that I remember the old hymns of our faith. I love the new praise and worship don't get me wrong, but I sure don't want to lose sight of songs like Jesus Paid it All and hymn lyrics like this one, which happens to be my favorite hymn:
"Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade;
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry;
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angels' song"
Lyrics to "The Love of God"
by Frederick M. Lehman, 1917
What's your favorite hymn and why?
Blessings,
Dori
No comments:
Post a Comment