Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 17 - Proverbs 17

Read some New Living Translation nuggets from Proverbs 17 this morning. I highly recommend reading familiar passages in different translations from time to time to get a new perspective. I try and read the Psalms and Proverbs every month each year and this year I'm using the NLT.

Prov. 17:5
"Those who mock the poor insult their Maker; those who rejoice at the misfortune of others will be punished."

Prov. 17:9
"Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends."

Prov. 17:11
"Evil people are eager for rebellion, but they will be severly punished."
(In light of my reading and studying Esther, this scripture is filed away for discussions on Haman's plan for evil for the Jews.)

Prov. 17:14
"Starting a quarrel is like opening a floodgate, so stop before a dispute breaks out."

Prov. 17:19
"Anyone who loves to quarrel loves sin; anyone who trusts in high walls invites disaster."
(I almost typed "anyone who trusts in high horses invites disaster"--I think it still fits! What do you think? I can remember many times I should have climbed off my high horse to avoid great disaster!!)

Prov. 17:24
"Sensible people keep their eyes glued on wisdom, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth."
(Love the marrying of this scripture with the passage I'm memorizing as part of the Scripture Memory Team over at the Living Proof Ministires blog - Proverbs 2:1-6.)

Prov. 17:27-28
"A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered. Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent."
(Lord, let my words be few!)

What are you reading?

Blessings,
Dori

No comments: