Friday, April 27, 2007

Love Them Like Jesus

I'm sorry I've been unusually quiet this week. It has been a busy week, but as I have settled into this blog thing I realize that until God puts something on my heart to write, I probably should just "sit on it" for a few days until He gives the go ahead. But I had a minute or two this afternoon and I wanted to tell you a story that I was told last night that has not stopped ringing in my ears.

A friend of mine and I sat at the local coffee shop last night for a couple of hours and just caught up. We hadn't seen each other since the Beth Moore simulcast in February. We had lots to talk about! I'm so thankful for a good friend that I can just sit with, laugh like teenagers, encourage one another, talk about the Lord, and NOT ONCE complain about our husbands! We asked each other to pray for our families, shared our struggles and just boasted on God. I love friends like that!!

She shared a story with me last night that I haven't been able to get out of my mind. She said that while they were visiting family in Georgia that she and her children went to the nursing home where her grandmother is living. Her grandmother has a roommate who has been in a coma for about 3 years. She is only about 50 years old. Robin said that she was told that the patient's family does visit her often and when they talk to her there is some movement in her eyes and the way her head moves. Other than that there is not much of a response.

Robin said she felt compelled to look in on this lady while she was there. She said that she looked above her bed and there were scriptures that had been taped up there. Robin started to read some of those scriptures out loud to this lady. She introduced herself to her and said, "You don't know me, but I'm Robin." She noticed some movement and a little response. What came next is what I will never forget. My sweet friend bowed low next to this woman's ear and told her, "You are not forgotten."

That there was any movement at all in response to Robin's speaking to this woman tells us that deep, deep inside that chest not only beats a heart, but a soul that is still very much alive. Definitely living and breathing and definitely not forgotton. The Word of God says that our names are engraved on the palms of His hands and that we are the apple of His eye. We are also told that He thinks about us all of the time and that His thoughts are to give us a hope and a future. His Word is also very clear when it says that if you done any thing that is kind (or unkind, for that matter) towards one of His own, we have done it unto Him.

I hear alot of people saying these days that they want their children to expand their worldview. In other words, the cycle of selfishness must stop with this generation. We simply must start thinking of others more highly than ourselves and minister to them no matter where they are -- no matter what condition their earthly body is in. Our lives have to be more about others and less about us.

Robin said when she left the nursing home that day, as she walked the corridors of the facility she looked at people differently than when she first arrived. She said that by looking into the eyes of those who were shuffling along the hallways, she began to see them for who they really are -- people who are hurting and desperately needing someone to show that they care. Sadly, we are becoming a country of people who forget other people. We must remember them as God remembers them. They are not forgotten and sometimes all they need to hear is someone say that to them. They need to know that someone sees and someone cares.

It is a cliche, but I'll risk my writing reputation on using it once again. We are the hands and feet of Jesus. If people are going to feel that they are loved, cared for and not forsaken or forgotten, we must be the ones to tell them. We don't have to know all of the answers to their questions. We simply must stop for a moment and love them like Jesus.

Just love them like Jesus, carry them to Him
His yoke is easy, His burden is light
You don’t need the answers to all of life’s questions
Just know that He loves them and stay by their side
Love them like Jesus.


LOVE THEM LIKE JESUS by Casting Crowns
Words & Music by Mark Hall
From the project LIFESONG

Blessings,
Dori

No comments: