Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Word

Today I have a very busy day. I also have a lot of things on my mind, some struggles that need my attention, children who are stepping outside of boundaries -- my house seems to be a little out of sorts. I'm ready to bring it all back in under God's authority and His umbrella of wisdom and rule. I ask you to pray for my own wisdom, knowledge, insight and understanding to know what it is God is saying to me as a mother and how to build up my home.

In the meantime, I wanted to post what my friend, Pastor John Fuller, wrote to those of us who are on his devotional e-mail list. He is a man of great wisdom and shares the Word of God with great insight and discernment. I love what he has to say today.

May you be blessed!

Dori

THE WORD
by John Fuller


“A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense. Through knowledge its rooms are filled with all sorts of precious riches and valuables. The Wise are mightier than the strong, and those with knowledge grow stronger and stronger” (Proverbs 24:3-5).

It doesn’t take a “rocket scientist” to understand that the great truths revealed in the Scripture always have a practical application. A wise man once said that “No king who rules over a country is as important as the person who rules over his own spirit.” “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that rules his spirit than he who conquers a city” (Proverbs 16:32). I recently read a book by a Christian Scientist, in which proof is given that God has given us the power to actually take control over our own minds, emotions and life situations.

This is an extremely important principle that is backed up by the Word of God. Proverbs 25:26 says that the person who fails to rule over his own spirit is like a city in which the walls are broken down. When applied to our minds we get a picture of a Christian who has failed to establish the protection given to us in God’s Word. The Scripture, like walls, are a defense against the enemy of the soul. Unfortunately there are a vast number of believers who experience constant defeat in their lives due to the fact they have no understanding of the great truths found in the Word, simply because they fail to read the bible on a regular basis.

The child of God must construct the walls of his soul by understanding the great doctrines in the Bible, first by being taught and also by daily reading the Scripture. The constant cry of our heart should be the same as the Psalmist in 11(: 131-135), where he declares, “I pant with expectation, longing for your commands-----Look upon me with love; and teach me your decrees.” Dear Lord, help us all to learn how to rule over our own minds and souls by the power of your word!

No comments: