Saturday, March 14, 2009

Chance Meetings

Originally written March 16, 2007

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending the Beth Moore Simulcast event called "Get Out of That Pit: Straight Talk About God's Deliverance." The messages were phenomenal and the worship was incredible -- even with the barrier of watching it on a screen.

Right before the lunch break Beth issued the challenge for us to seek out people with whom we could share our stories of deliverance. I had NO IDEA what God had in store for me as I headed off to the Fellowship Hall. I met up with an old friend and we picked a table – or at least I thought we were the one’s doing the picking. Little did I know that God had already arranged a table for us long before we arrived at the church that morning.

My friend and I had not seen each for months and we sat down at this table that seated 10 and began to catch up. Two ladies came to the table which had 8 empty chairs and sat down right next to me. You know that feeling that you get when someone is just standing by waiting to say something specifically to you and you know that they aren’t going to leave until you let them get it out? That is the feeling that I immediately had. I turned to the ladies and introduced myself. All I can say is that they simply had His Glory all over their faces! They were beaming! Then they began to tell their story…

VICKIE'S STORY...
Vickie is a 48 year old woman who had been on the streets since she was 16 years old. She is a recovering alcoholic and crack cocaine addict. She is a resident of The Hope Center sponsored by The Nashville Rescue Mission. The Hope Center houses women who are recovering from addictions and/or abuse. It is a seven month Christ-centered program that helps them recover from their addictions and advises them on how to take back their life that has been so devastated by everything the enemy has thrown their way. She said that when she arrived at The Hope Center in October of 2006 she literally pushed her metal shopping cart that contained all of her belongings to the front door of the facility and begged for them to take her in.

MARSHA'S STORY...
Marsha is also in her late 40’s and is recovering from substance abuse. She had just found out the day before the Simulcast that her husband had divorced her without her knowledge. Who knew you could do that? Apparently he placed an ad in the local paper in Kansas and when she didn’t respond, he divorced her because her absence is considered abandonment. She quietly said, “I guess I have abandoned him.” She began to share how she was so excited about graduating from the program because God had given her a job in Louisiana. She will be working in a home much like The Hope Center mentoring women who are also looking for freedom from their addictions. She explained that soon after she was offered the job, God moved her from her private room at The Hope Center into a room with another woman who was new to the Center. She explained that she couldn’t stand this woman! She said, “I prayed and asked God why He would put me in a room with someone I couldn’t get along with and really didn’t like.” She said that God gently told her, “Marsha, there are going to be dozens of women just like this woman who are going to be coming through the doors of that home in Louisiana looking to you for guidance and help in finding freedom. You are not going to like all of them either! This woman is your training ground.”

Both of these precious ladies began to share with me how God had miraculously delivered them, was redeeming their life from the pit and how excited they were about the future. They said that someone had generously paid for all 35 residents of The Hope Center to attend the Simulcast that day and how blessed they were to be there. They were climbing out of one heck of a pit and couldn’t be more thrilled! They were taking BREAKING FREE by Beth Moore as a group at the Center and they said God was doing wonderful things in their lives as a result of that study. They said they wanted to read her new book and I could tell that they couldn’t afford a copy for themselves. The Holy Spirit jumped all over me and I went to the church bookstore right then and there and bought them each a book. When I gave them the books they wept! You would have thought that I had given them my wedding ring! I was so touched and humbled.

It was a “chance” meeting (as if there is any such thing) that I will never forget for the rest of my days. I had been beating myself up for months about a particular season of defeat and habitual sin of which I just couldn't seem to let go. God gave me this beautiful visual and sweetly sang over me that day – “If I can set them free, I am more than able to set you free, too!”

On Tuesday after the event, I got a note from Vickie which read:

"Dori, Blessings to you for your very thoughtful gesture in presenting me your gift of "Get Out of That Pit." I am on Chapter 8 - "Make Up Your Mind" and by the grace of God I feel like I've crawled out of the pit and I'm tearing down the wallpaper. As I mentioned though, I've got 30 years of addiction for a past and they were spread out in phases so I don't have any parts of pieces to hang on to as far as people, because when one phase ended, everyone and every place and everything went with it. But I'm standing on that solid Rock today and each new day is so bright and refreshing and hopeful and I will prayerfully seek to do the will of God in everything I do. With God at the top, you're also on my new list of relationships on this brand new way to live. Keep in touch. God bless you, Vickie"

Wow! A life set free and free indeed! I will never forget meeting Vickie and Marsha. Their testimony will ring in my ear from now until eternity. They have challenged me to get out of my own pits once and for all. If God can set them free, He can set you free, too!!

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. (Psalm 40:1-3 NIV)

No comments: