Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Abiding in Him

I've written and deleted about 20 posts in the past 24 hours. I just can't seem to hit "publish" on anything these days. I've been a bit out of sorts and haven't felt like doing much -- in the "real world" or in the "blog world."

So for the sake of just writing something to jumpstart me writing again, I'll post the question I asked of some friends this week:


Other than the Bible, what devotional book have you consistently used over and over again and why?


I've gotten some really great responses and suggestions. What would be your answer?

Mine would have to be My Utmost for His Highest. I don't always "get" what Oswald Chambers is trying to tell me on the first read, but he always leaves me with something to think about. For example, yesterday's reading has me still pondering what he said:



"We must continually maintain an adventurous attitude toward Him, despite any potential personal risk...Many people today are pouring their lives out and working for Jesus Christ, but are not really walking with Him. One thing God constantly requires of us is a oneness with Jesus Christ. After being set apart through sanctification, we should discipline our lives spiritually to maintain this intimate oneness. When God gives you a clear determination of His will for you, all your striving to maintain that relationship by some particular method is completely unnecessary. All that is required is to live a natural life of absolute dependence on Jesus Christ. Never try to live your life with God in any other way than His way. And His way means absolute devotion to Him. Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus."



Whew! "Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus." I believe that really goes well with what Beth was teaching us about fear in Session 4 of Esther. Conquering the "what if's" in our lives with the simple response that "If (this happens), THEN GOD." God will be faithful. He will be sufficient. He will be supreme. He will be enough.

Walking with Jesus and do not be afraid. Those are the themes of this season of my life. Everywhere I turn, every scripture I read, every book I pick up leads back to those two things -- walking with Jesus and do not be afraid.

What about you? Do you have a theme going in your life right now...a particular area where God seems to be dealing with you by bringing it up through His Word, teachers, pastors, and friends? Feel free to share it.

Have a blessed day and abide in Him,
Dori

No comments: