Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Day Blues

Friends, when I went to bed on Tuesday night I was quite down -- really full of despair and dread -- over the outcome of the election. Don't get me wrong. I watched our President-elect give a powerful acceptance speech. I saw racial barriers begin to dissolve. On the surface what I saw from that stage in Chicago was exciting, hopeful and moving. But I then recalled the promises he had made that would deterioriate the belief system that my family and I hold dear. So my head hit the pillow and my hope seemed deferred!

But something happened on Wednesday morning. I woke up at peace. God spoke into my ear that my hope is built on nothing less than Him. My circumstances can't change that. The state of my country can't change that. The President of the United States can't change that. I realized that what had happened the night before didn't change the abundant life that Jesus came to give me. I realized that what had happened the night before did, however, make my job as a Christian woman, wife and parent harder in the years to come. But who promised us that the Christian life would be easy? No, indeed, the Christian life is the narrow path. There is a reason Jesus said, "take up your cross daily and follow Me." Taking up a cross is hard work!

As I began to think of the challenges that we may face, I sort of felt invigorated. I felt like I had been given a battle cry to "GET ON WITH IT!" This is no time to be discouraged, in despair or wallow in our disappointment. This is not the time to be a wimp, but be the warrior we were called to be!

The fact is that none of us knows the future. We don't know when Christ will come back for His Bride. We don't know what the President-elect will do when he takes office. We have no idea what rights we hold dear will be demolished.

But what we do know is that we have been called to love -- love God, love people. We've been called to disciple -- across the street and around the world. We've been called to take care of widows and orphans. We've been called to be salt and light. We've been called to "suffer the little children" and teach them all that we have seen and heard God do in our lives. We've been called to worship Him in spirit and in truth. We've been called to make His Name famous!

We are also called to pray for those who lead us. So I'm praying. I'm praying for our President-elect that he will seek God's wisdom, pursue holiness and practice humility. A tall order, indeed. But with God ALL ALL ALL things are possible!

I was reminded that even though things look uncertain, God hasn't changed. It isn't going to be easy, but God will empower. He is faithful. He is above all. He is on His throne. Through it all He is our Prince of Peace, our King, the Alpha and Omega, the One Who was, and is and is to come! Nothing trumps Him. He is Jesus, the One and Only!

Blessings,
Dori

No comments: