"Thanksgiving is a time of quiet reflection...an annual reminder that God has, again, been ever so faithful. The solid and simple things of life are brought into clear focus." ~~ Charles R. Swindoll
November 1. How can that be? My, my, my -- time is going by so fast! It seems like only yesterday we were gathered around a feast, with friends and family, laughing, loving -- being thankful!
As I started thinking about this upcoming holiday and what it means, I began to feel an urging in my heart to be intentional about being thankful this year.
It seems that if we aren’t careful we rush through the Thanksgiving season, visit a little, eat a lot, watch a little football and when our heads hit the pillow on the big day, we’ve taken no time to actually count our blessings much less share them with someone else.
Maybe it is just me. Maybe I’m just getting older. I pray that it is because I am getting wiser. But I don’t want to rush through November and head on into Christmas and not give thanks to the Lord...for He, indeed, has been good to me. I’m sure you don’t have to think too hard to see the ways He has also blessed you and your family.
I have so much to be thankful for! My amazing husband and precious kids. For health and blessings too many to name here. For provision of just daily necessities that we often take for granted. For ministry opportunities. But all of this only comes from a God who dearly loves me and cares for me.
The love of God! The depth of it astounds me. The height of it lifts me. Mercies new every morning. Lovingkindness that is better than life itself. Peace like a river. Life full of abundant joy. Forgiveness and redemption. Sacrifice.
My favorite hymn says it this way:
The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.
Oh, love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure—
The saints’ and angels’ song.
And then how I love this verse:
Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky
Oh, love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure—
The saints’ and angels’ song.
Oh, Heavenly Father, how in the world could I ever thank You enough and how dare we just set aside one day to be intentionally thankful! Give me a heart that is full of thanksgiving every day of every year -- not just on one Thursday in November. You have been so faithful to me. Thank you, LORD, that Your faithfulness to me is steady and unchanging -- when my faithfulness to You is always falling short. For all You have done, for all that You're going to do, for all that You are -- HOW I THANK YOU!
"O my soul, bless GOD. From head to toe, I'll bless his holy name! O my soul, bless GOD, don't forget a single blessing! He forgives your sins--every one. He heals your diseases--every one. He redeems you from hell--saves your life! He crowns you with love and mercy--a paradise crown. He wraps you in goodness--beauty eternal. He renews your youth--you're always young in his presence." (Psalm 103:1-5 THE MESSAGE)
Blessings,
Dori
If you would like to join me for "25 DAYS OF THANKS..." feel free to grab the button to the right and post your own "25 DAYS OF THANKS..." post. Participate every day, once a week or whenever you want! Just sign Mr. Linky below and don't forget to also leave a comment!
No comments:
Post a Comment