Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Life with the Exclamation Point

 
I have always been aware that everything I write is usually filled with exclamation points. Sometimes a single point. Sometimes multiples. In fact, I have to make a conscience effort not to use the exclamation point. I remember a Seinfeld episode where Elaine broke up with her boyfriend because when he took down a message from a friend who had called saying she had a baby he didn't use an exclamation point. I can identify. I just think if you have something to say and it is not your usual ordinary conversation, it warrants something special...something to make the point.

But there are extremes and even though I certainly try to be more aware of when I'm going overboard with the exclamation point, there are sometimes when I forget and lapse back into my overexuberance about something that others might deem mundane.

Take this e-mail that I just had my daughter's teacher send out to our parents for example:

Dear Parents,

Thank you so much for all who have signed up to help us with our inflatable on Friday night at Cheetah Fest! As you can see, we only have three more spots to go! If you can work one or more of these spots or if you have a middle or high school student who would like to help us out, please call me at _____ or e-mail me at _________!!

I heard from Carla S. today that our basket is done and BE-AU-TI-FUL!! Be sure and look for it at the auction on Friday night…you might even want to bid on it!! Cheetah Fest is only a tremendous success year after year because of you, our wonderful parents! Thank you for giving – not only your donations but also of your time!

Thank you so much for your help! It’s going to be a great night of fun!!

See you at Cheetah Fest!

Dori Cook!

If you are counting, that is 8 sentences, 14 exclamation points. And, yes, I unknowingly put one after my name!

Do you think they got the point? Well, even if they don't sign up to volunteer, they will know that if nothing else I was passionate about asking!

Which got me to thinking. With how much passion, exuberance and excitement do I share with others about the hope that I have in Jesus? I hope that when I say, "He is my everything" and "His Word is life to me" that they would know that at the end of those sentences there were multiple exclamation points because of the way in which I speak of Him.

Blessings,
Dori!!!!!!!

No comments: