Sunday, June 1, 2008

Lost in Summer

 
Summer doesn't officially begin on the calendar for another 3 weeks. Summer definitely began at The Cook House on Friday, May 23! This was the day after the last official day of school. Our days have been filled with:

  • Kids sleeping until 10:00 am if they have a mind to

  • Swimming all day if we have a mind to

  • Going to Sonic for Happy Hour Slushies if we have a mind to

  • Friends calling every 5 minutes to come over

  • PJ's until Noon if we have a mind to

  • Preparing for vacation that is quickly approaching

  • Deeper Still in less than 4 weeks

  • Painting the kitchen

  • Begin teaching 2nd Grade Sunday School today!!

  • Attempting to do an indepth Bible study with friends while all of the above is going on!


  • It happened just this way last year. As I look back at last year, my summertime blogging was at a minimum. There just seems to be so much more to be done than to sit at my desk and hammer away at the keyboard. But I promise not to leave you totally. I'm sure from time to time there will be a lesson learned that must be shared, a photo taken that just can't be filed away without posting, and Lindsey's always good for a funny comment from here and there.

    This morning, though, I'm listening to a storm brewing nearby -- occasional claps of thunder. The reason I'm at my keyboard at 5:54 am is because when there is thunder there is also Lindsey...in my bed!

    Truth be told, I couldn't sleep anyway. 2nd Grade Sunday School is on my mind. I can't wait! I remember so much of what I learned about Jesus when I was a little 2nd grader sitting in wooden chairs as Mrs. Powers put watercolor images of Bible characters up on a flannelgraph board. I hope these little ones remember what we teach them about God this year!!

    Today's lesson? The tumbling of the wall around Jericho! One thing that struck me about this story was that before the seventh day when the walls came crashing down around the city and God gave them a mighty victory, He asked the Israelites to obey His very strict instruction of marching around the wall every day, one time, for six days -- in SILENCE! They could not talk, not even a whisper. The commentary with our lesson added that they did all of this -- they marched, they didn't talk, they didn't whisper...THEY DIDN'T EVEN COMPLAIN.

    Which got me to thinking. How many of God's instructions have I followed in just this way? How many times have I obeyed His leading, but complained, grumbled, reasoned...the whole 9 yards? What would happen if I just decided to obey and be silent?

    The journey of obedience can sometimes be the hardest journey of all. But I'm wondering if we make it that way by not being silent and listening for His voice as we travel. What would God whisper in our ear as we obey that would make the journey of obedience easier -- if only we would be silent and listen?

    Just something to think about this morning!

    Serving Him Shoulder to Shoulder,
    Dori

    No comments: