Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Credit Due

My friend Jenny has had one crazy week! Last Wednesday she was at work as a Cardiac Care RN -- specifically an Open Heart Surgical RN -- and she began to have chest pains. Two leading doctors evaluated her and determined that she needed to go immediately to another specialized hospital as it appeared she had an aeortic aneurysm which would require a very risky open heart surgery. Keep in mind that Jenny is younger than me and has 2 young children. Also remember that her career is in this field -- making it equally as frightening for her as I'm sure she has seen her fair share of best and worst case scenarios.

Immediately the Body of Christ began to pray for Jenny as she was transported by ambulance to a nearby city for immediate care and further evaluation. After further testing and evaluation her diagnosis had completely changed! No aneurysm. No open heart surgery. She does have "something" but it is not near as dire as the original diagnosis.

What happened next surprised me. At church the next Sunday morning, I heard one person after another comment that the doctors had made a mistake and her diagnosis changed. I even heard myself say the words, too.

This morning I got an e-mail from Jenny and she cleared up any confusion surrounding her diagnosis. She said:

"I wanted to say an amazing THANK YOU to all of you for your calls and prayers. I believed God changed my diagnosis on my way to Vanderbilt. In the ambulance with the quiet ride the song "Let my Life Song Sing to You" kept going through my mind. My goal is to be a Life Song of Joy to family, friends and strangers and remember to thank God for everyday!"


Not to slap any hands for surely mine would be sore and red, but I challenge us as believers in THE ALL POWERFUL, ALL SUFFICIENT, ALL SUPREME, ALMIGHTY AND MIRACLE WORKING GOD to stop giving credit for His mighty acts to mistakes in diagnosis and realize that prayer really does change things and when His people pray He moves. Not always in the way we want, but always for our good and sometimes in overwhelmingly miraculous ways!

"Once again I'll go over what GOD has done, lay out on the table the ancient wonders; I'll ponder all the things you've accomplished, and give a long, loving look at your acts. O God! Your way is holy! No god is great like God! You're the God who makes things happen; you showed everyone what you can do..." Psalm 77:11-14 THE MESSAGE

Blessings,
Dori

No comments: