Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Funnies from Lindsey

 
Yesteryday, we had some errands to run and, of course, we were listening to Christmas Music in the car. The Christmas Shoes by New Song came on and I intentionally turned my rearview mirror so I could see her. She can be very sensitive and also listens to the lyrics to songs she hears, quite often commenting on the meaning and such. So I wanted to see her reaction to this beautiful but very sad song about a little boy who wants to buy shoes for his mother who is dying on Christmas Eve.

As I listened I would look away to the road, of course, because I'm a conscientious driver like that :). When I would glance back at her I saw expressions of confusion mixed with looks of deep thought and an occasional glance at me as if she were asking with her eyes, "What in the world???"

Me? I was tearing up. This song gets me everytime and I finally just said outloud, "Oh....this song is SO sad!!!"

There was a pause and she threw up her hands and said, "What? Mom, IT'S ABOUT SHOES!?!?" She was totally missing the point of the song and simply thought that it was solely (no pun intended) about shoes! I kept trying to tell her the real meaning of the song and she insisted, "IT'S ABOUT SHOES!!!!" She must have said it a dozen times.

Me? Well, I couldn't determine if I was crying because the song was so sad or if I was laughing so hard.

Well, the story loses something in translation. It's much better told in person!! :) But the song really is beautiful and sad!

Her second funny came this morning. She arrived at the breakfast table telling me that she thinks we have a ghost upstairs. When we inquired why she would think such a thing she explained that she had heard noises and such. She said, "I think it is Taylor's ghost." We explained that Taylor doesn't have a ghost because Taylor is very much among the living. She came up with another suggestion. Perhaps it was her Uncle Lee who is in heaven. "No, Lindsey, Lee is not a ghost living in our upstairs." Finally about 2 hours after this dialog, she was in the playroom drawing a picture called "The Ghost Upstairs." Then I hear her exclaim, "I've got it -- it's the HOLY GHOST. He's the only ghost anyway!!"

Me? More laughter and more tears!!

Blessings,
Dori

No comments: