Whew! I’m sitting down to my computer this morning after a whirlwind – getting the kids off to school! Lindsey decided that she didn’t want to wear “pretty” clothes to school because she looks “dumb.” Taylor rolled out of bed 15 minutes late and took a 30 minute shower (yes, he will be assisting with the water bill this month!) and then couldn’t understand why he didn’t have time to finish his breakfast. Things at my house went from 0 to 80 mph in about 3 seconds flat and by the time we got to the car, well, WE NEEDED TO PRAY…and we most certainly did!
I’m sure I’m the ONLY ONE reading this that has had mornings like this. I'm sure your children are perfect and NEVER throw fits about ridiculous things. I’m sure they are always waiting patiently at the door for you at 8:05 every morning, ready to go – backpacks ready, lunches packed, faces washed, teeth brushed – ready to face the day with a song and a smile! I’m sure you NEVER yell at your kids! I'm sure you NEVER have to pray in the car! I’m sure you have NEVER felt the guilt of losing your patience and not being the best example for your little ones! Well, humor me while I tell you what God spoke to me after the chaos of my morning.
The Verse of the Day at the bottom of my blog reads:
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:2
After I spent a couple of minutes repenting for not being humble, gentle and patient this morning, I wrote that verse on a card to put downstairs for our family to see. But God wanted me to really KNOW what this verse meant.
Did you know that in this verse the word “humble” is translated from a Greek word that means to keep yourself lowly or humble not only in your mind, but with your heart. Our thoughts of ourselves should be humble, but our feelings should always remain humble, too. This doesn’t come naturally to us. We have to depend on the power of God to do this in us. It’s a constant surrender of our mind and our heart to Him to keep us always thinking more highly of others than we do of ourselves – putting their needs above our own. Don’t have that kind of power at work in you? Ask Him for it!
The word “patient” in Ephesians 4:2 means to be consistently steadfast, persevering and slow to avenge wrongs. We have a huge responsibility in raising our children to make wise decisions, practice self-control and have discipline. But if we are constantly pouncing on them the second they mess up or do something wrong, what have we taught them? We are wise to step back, be patient, and ask God for just the right way to teach them their lessons. I have to learn this lesson over and over and over again – almost every day. I’m still learning!
The word “bearing” means to hold up, to sustain, to endure, to tolerate, but it also has another definition that I think really gives us a good visual of what “bearing with one another in love” really means. It also means “to hold one’s self erect and firm.” To me, this means that through the power of the Holy Spirit, I can not only have humbleness, gentleness and patience when dealing with difficult situations and people, but I can stand up straight and firm, not buckling under the pressure. I don’t have to lose control of my emotions and feel completely drained after the battle. I can have composure, holding my head high and keeping my chin up, so to speak.
Finally, the word "love" in this verse is “agape” love. It is the kind of love in the Bible that is demonstrative, affectionate and benevolent. It is visible love! It is not only the kind of love that someone KNOWS we have for them, but it is the kind of love that they SEE that we have for them. It shows in our actions and in our words.
So as we go through the day-to-day routine of life, let’s remember this verse. We are not called to be selfish, harsh and agitated, constantly on the verge of chaos. We are empowered to be humble, gentle, patient, and loving with one another. Let us let God give us the power and the strength to walk in this calling!
Blessings,
Dori
No comments:
Post a Comment