In the Bible, names were of great importance. A name was treasured and its meaning typically described the person or their character. I knew that Taylor's first name, "Joshua" was a very strong biblical name meaning "Yahweh is Salvation" or "The LORD Delivers." I have big dreams for Taylor! He's so intelligent and full of knowledge that I know God can do ANYTHING with him. More importantly, though, I just want him to grow up to know, love and believe God.
But as I was thinking about Lindsey I realized that I really didn't know what her name means.
Lindsey has always been a very strongwilled child and one with a mighty little temper -- if you can even imagine. She's so tiny and angelic looking in many ways, but she's got a fire in her that if undisciplined she would be a mess! I've prayed and prayed and prayed for her that God would get a hold of all of that passion and turn it into a fiery love for Him. As her mother and being very jealous for her and her future, I've wanted this to happen instantly! I know that He can do that, but I want you to hear what I found out about her name and what God taught me just this morning in Bible study.
Lindsey's name means: "A tree or trees near the water." When I read this I immediately thought of Psalm 1:1-3:
"How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers."
I was so grateful that God gave me a scripture that I could pray specifically for Lindsey and all the many challenges she faces in controlling her emotions. I could pray it just like this:
"God, be with my sweet Lindsey. Plant her firmly by Your streams, Lord, of Living Water. Make her strong, firm and help her not to fall away or wither. Prosper her."
I always wanted to follow up that prayer with, "Do it NOW Lord!"
Then today in Bible study the DVD lesson brought us to this scripture and I saw what I had been missing all along! That tree that is planted by streams of water yields its fruit IN SEASON -- in God's perfect time -- not necessarily when it is best for me, but when it is in the timing of God's perfect will and plan. God has a huge calling for Lindsey, I'm sure, but no amount of begging and pleading on my part is going to make it all come together for her any sooner than when God has it planned and mapped out for her on His Kingdom calendar. As much as I love Lindsey and want the best for her, God loves her far more and has way more planned for her than I could ever dream or imagine!
"However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him...'" I Corinthians 2:9
That doesn't mean that we give up praying for our children because "God's gonna do what God's gonna do!" No! It simply means that we lay all of our dreams and plans and desires for them at God's feet, giving up any claim we feel we have to them, and ask Him to work mightily through them in His time and in due season.
Love them, pray for them, and give them over to God -- every minute of every day -- that's the greatest responsibility to our children that we have been given.
I love you, Taylor and Lindsey! Be strong...be courageous...be bold!
Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment