Monday, December 14, 2009

The Tree

When did Christmas trees become something of a contest among friends? When did it stop being full of memories and become a work of art. Don't get me wrong! I love going and looking at all of the elegant trees at the mall and especially at the Opryland Hotel, but I have to say that when all is said and done and when I finally put the last ornament on my tree -- I have really experienced one of the joys of this season. Celebrating the great gift of family and memories that God has graced me with!

My tree is not elegant nor is it nominated for some decorating award, but my tree represents so many of the treasured moments of my life.

There is the "Our First Christmas Together" ornament that I couldn't wait to put on the tree back in 1992! To have someone to have a "First Christmas Together" with was a miracle in my life -- a true miracle!

There are the "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments that I take out and hold in my hand before placing it on the tree. Memories flood my mind of holding those tiny little hands in mine for the first time!

There are countless "handmade" ornaments -- some from school, some from church, some we made around the house! Priceless, I tell you -- and beautiful works of art to me if to no one else.

There is the plush cow ornament that "moos" to the tune of "Deck the Halls." It is a tradition that when I take that ornament out I call each and every person in our family and play it over the phone -- no words, just moos...and then chuckles. What a joy!

Countless collected Hallmark ornaments that I have bought for my kids most years. Some represent their "favorites" -- Veggie Tales, Blue's Clues, Curious George and Barbie. There's Tonka trucks that remind me of Taylor's first Christmas and he was so tiny that we put him in the back of a Tonka dumptruck and took his picture. How can 14 years have passed so quickly? And I can't forget the Star Trek ornament that my mother-in-law got us one year. None of us are Trekkies -- never seen the show, personally. But we enjoy pushing the button 20 times a day and hearing it say, "Shuttlecraft to Enterprise, Shuttlecraft to Enterprise...Spock here. Happy Holidays. Live long and prosper."

So, there will be no decorating magazines coming to my home to take photographs of my tree. Most people may not even stop and take a moment to look at the ornaments. But I treasure the time that I have with it every year -- just me, the tree and the ornaments...and a box of tissues!

Cherished memories that flow from the blessings of a Great God!

Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. (James 1:17)


I have never thought of this scripture as a Christmas scripture before, but when I relive special moments of my life by putting up my Christmas tree, I certainly am thankful for every good and perfect gift He has given me. And since He is the Father of Lights, I know He would love the 900 twinkling beauties that are on my tree this year! :)

Just another reason to Consider Him this year!

Blessings,
Dori

No comments: