But here I am with a few thoughts. They aren't organized and I'm not promising when I get done they will make a lick of sense.
I read the scripture Hebrews 10:24 this morning fresh and new. I've used this scripture for years as a diving board for ministry - particularly Women's Ministry. God's Word says,
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." Hebrews 10:24 NIV
As I read that this morning, I had my children and my husband in mind. I don't have to tell you, because it is a known fact, that we have to make deliberate and intentional steps to give our best to those we live with. We are professionals at putting on our perfect masks at church and giving everything we have to do it right for other people. But what happens when we pull into our driveways and shut the door to the outside world is really our calling, our mission field.
I dearly love my friend, Angela. Her husband is in full-time worship ministry, but I would guess that if you asked Travis he would say that what he does on the road would never be possible without Angela. She is a godly woman who dearly loves His Word and speaks it into the hearts and minds of anyone she meets. She can say more in just a few words than most (including me) can say in hundreds and when she prays for you, you feel God's presence inhabiting each phrase. But one night recently at a gathering we were at together, she reached for the Word to affirm something I had said earlier and then to also share with others about how God has led them in their ministry. She opened up Acts 10:38 and reminded us that Jesus just went around doing good as He had the opportunity. She said that as we just go around and do good when we are presented with the opportunity, God will bless us and lives will find refuge in Him through us.
So in looking at this concept of just going around doing good as we have the chance and reading Hebrews 10:24, I'm challenged once again to look with eyes wide open for ways to spur my children and my husband on to love and good needs.
I'm afraid that most of the time I've been guilty of spurring them on just to get them to behave or do whatever I need for them do and act how I need for them to act.
Rather, my heart cries out this morning with the desire to be the catalyst in their life that opens their hearts up to things that matter, opportunities to do some good in this life knowing that abundant living is the by-product of that, and when all is said and done this world saw a whole lot of Jesus at work in their lives.
God, I am blessed beyond measure with my family. Tomorrow I celebrate 17 years of marriage with the love of my life and I do not want You to think that I take that lightly. I know that when I walked down that aisle on that unseasonably cool August day, You delighted me in a way that I certainly didn't deserve. Thank You for giving us Taylor and Lindsey. Each one is so uniquely wired and gifted -- fearfully and wonderfully made by You -- and I pray that You will help me seek out ways to deliberately and intentionally spur them on to doing good for You, to help them see that serving You is the most important thing and that when we walk with You nothing else matters. Thank You for the reminder today that my single most important mission field starts before I ever step foot out into the world. It starts right here...at The Cook House! I praise You and bless Your Name today...the Strong Tower that I'm so grateful to be able to run to. Amen.
Blessings,
Dori
No comments:
Post a Comment