Thursday, April 2, 2009

Find Rest

"Get some rest!" That's what I keep hearing God say to me. "Find yourself a quiet place and get some rest!" I don't necessarily mean sleep -- I mean rest! Rest from the worries of the day; rest from your "to do" list; rest from going here and there; and rest from doing this and that. I don't mean ignore important responsibilities that must be handled. I just mean steal away even for a few minutes and just rest...IN HIM!

When the disciples and Jesus were going about doing good, there came a time when the crowds were many, the tasks at hand were pressing and the men were exhausted. Scripture tells us that they didn't have time to take care of the necessity of eating a meal. As always, Jesus immediately saw a need and began to make a way for that need to be filled.

And He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while." (For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.) (Mark 6:31 NAS)


The NIV says that He implored them not only to go to a secluded place and rest, but to join Him there:

Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." (Mark 6:31 NIV Emphasis mine)


I love Jesus for so many reasons, but I cannot thank Him enough for being a "need-seeing and need-meeting" Savior! He gets our attention in whatever way He thinks best, shows us what we need, and then begins to make a way for that need to be met.

Next week we celebrate the reasons He came and the sacrifice He made! He came to make right everything that seems to be in chaos in our lives. He came to bring us good news in place of the bad. He came so that we might have our broken hearts mended. He came to proclaim freedom for us, the captives, and bring light to our prisons. Because He came we no longer mourn -- He comforts us and makes us glad. He came so that He could lift our ashen faces and place a crown of beauty on our heads. He came because God saw despair and wanted to hear His children praise! And, yes, when we are tired, He brings rest to our souls!

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. (Matthew 11:28-30 THE MESSAGE)


Find rest and be blessed!
Dori

No comments: