I love to read my friend Leigh's posts and how she gets up at 5:00ish to meet with the Lord and get her day started. I love how that works for her and I know that works for me, too, but today I slept in -- until 7:15 and it felt good. After I read what my friend wrote, I sort of felt a little guilt and asked God to help me get up earlier. Then it happened and I knew that His timing is never a mistake...
My Skype alarm rang that I had an incoming call. Usually this means my sister-in-law, Lauren, for she is about the only one who ever calls me in this way. This time it was from Southeast Asia! My old friend, Tiffany, was calling me from the mission field! I was so excited to hear her voice and see her face. She and her family have been over in the region since November, I believe. This is their first time there after a long time of training and preparation. We couldn't talk long because the connection started breaking in and out and I didn't get to ask her all of the many ministry questions I wanted to. But it was a great reminder on this second day of the new year that when I am dealing with the laundry, cooking, cleaning and the routine, there is extremely urgent and important work going on in places that I only dare to dream of visiting. She and her husband are living their lives intentional, determined and resolved to complete the work that He has called them to do and is faithful to accomplish in and through them. So if you think about it, pray for my friends Steve, Tiffany, Leigha and Kevin. Pray for language barriers to be broken down and pray for just ease in settling in to a new way of life. Pray for God to open doors in their ministry and for little delights along the way -- whether it is an unexpected trip to a more modern city with a Burger King (wink wink Tiff!) or just simply a quiet moment when God just whispers in their ear, "I'm here and I love you so much!"
After talking to Tiffany, I knew that God was wanting me to not spend any more time on this crazy computer but to open His Word and see what He had for me today. I have a couple of things that I use for my quiet time. One is My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. This morning he led me to Hebrews 11 -- the Hall of Faith. I'm very comfortable walking up and down these halls for I have spent alot of time there of late in a Bible study that I just completed back in November. Chambers reiterated that when God speaks to us he rarely gives us specific information about where we are going and what will happen in the future. His main purpose for speaking to us at all is about teaching us something about Himself. I struggled with that for a bit because there are times when I talk to Him that I definitely need direction about something specific. I have to believe that He will be a lamp to my feet (my here and now) and a light to my path (where I am headed). So I took a few minutes to think on this and the next thing I knew I was reading this:
He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:7-8)
That was what I needed clarity on. God doesn't withhold all information and direction from us, but He does want us to trust Him and His power to walk in the way that He illuminates. We are detail oriented. We want information about every little thing that is going to happen from day to day. God wants us to know that no matter our path, His Holy Spirit is leading the way and infusing us with the power to accomplish the task at hand -- what He has called us to do. Sometimes that means knowing a little bit about what is happening, sometimes it means knowing nothing until we have come through and then we look back and trace His hand. If we had known, we surely would have been in the way! But each time we trust and follow in this way, we are brought closer and closer to His heart. We learn from Him and know more about Him. Which for some reason, leads me back to the scripture that I shared at the end of yesterday's post. Perhaps this is my theme verse for this year since it continues to be a thread running through my thoughts.
[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [ which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope] (Philippians 3:10 Amplified)
It's all about knowing Him and experiencing His power and nothing about our being more comfortable with our circumstances by knowing details. We are to be determined to know Him.
I had more random things to share, but I think that is quite enough to consider and ponder! Have a blessed day! I'm off to read an I Spy book with the kids!
Blessings,
Dori
No comments:
Post a Comment