Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Lost and Found

I had someone give me a handwritten list of exhortations and encouragements for me Sunday! Wow! I can't say that has ever happened. To have someone to take their quiet time with the Lord and think of me was astounding. I love how God does that and then truly puts it to work in my life.

The first encouragement was to lean on the Lord's provision in everything -- big and small -- in my life...at home, in marriage, in service, in parenting, in everything! Little did I know I was going to have to put that one to use pretty quick.

After church Sunday, we decided to go and take a walk at the local park. We loaded up the kids into the car and headed that way. What we didn't realize is that my husband had laid his wallet on top of the car and forgot all about it as we drove off from our home to the park. About 3 hours later, he realized what he had done and went looking for the wallet while I quickly called the bank to cancel his debit card -- the only real thing of importance in the wallet as he had removed his license sometime earlier in the day and had that at home.

On my way to Bible study, my friend's encouragement to lean on the Lord for provision in EVERYTHING rang in my ears. I prayed all the way to church just asking the Lord for His provision in this. I confessed that this seemed trivial in the eyes of most people, but it was important to us and I graciously asked Him to help us locate the wallet with little or no inconvenience.

As I burst into my classroom -- 10 minutes late -- I told the girls in my Believing God class of our predicament and I was so blessed. They immediately went to the Lord on our behalf and prayed for a quick resolution. I checked in from time to time at home to see if the wallet had been located and sadly, it had not.

Sometime around 1:00 yesterday, my husband called and asked if we had been to a neighboring county -- over 50 miles away -- recently. He had a "smile" in his voice, but I was confused. He said that a sheriff's deputy had called and said that someone had found his wallet on the side of the road. Everything was still inside, including the debit card. I'm not sure how the wallet flew off our car in Spring Hill and was found in Ashland City, but I definitely know Who picked it up and made sure it found its way back to my husband's dresser. Provision, I tell you -- God's provision!

You know, I could have just said the night before, "Oh well, it's gone and we can replace everything in it -- no big deal." But God wanted me to exercise my belief in Him and how He cares for us even in the things that seem small and trivial. He wants to show off for us. Sometimes He is just waiting for us to ask. Not only did it encourage my faith, but the faith of my class was strengthened as they were able to participate by praying for us. I got e-mail after e-mail yesterday from my girls asking me about the wallet and it was so exciting to get their responses when they heard that it had been found. My children were able to participate because I told them that we needed to pray that God would help Daddy find his wallet. They were so excited when they found out that it had been found. Do you think they might remember this little story the next time they ask God for something they really need for their lives? I'm praying they will!

This story is way more about a lost wallet that is now found. It reminded me that I don't ever want to be found lacking simply because I didn't ask!! It is about a God who loves us, cares for us, teaches us, listens to us and delights in making provision for us -- in the big things and even in the small!

You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, because the work of the Son brings glory to the Father. Yes, ask anything in my name, and I will do it! (John 14:13-14 New Living Translation)


Blessings,
Dori

No comments: